The “Beginning” is really for your doctor: it means to start every patient just as you would any other, regardless of their previous diagnosis.
- Identify possible autoimmune disorder – do NOT let your doctor skip this step and dismiss this possibility. As stated in greater detail in my book, most cancer patients are Th2 dominant autoimmune (and most have NO idea and have never been diagnosed as such). Hidden, subclinical autoimmune disorders haunt the patient!
- HCL – get tested for and correct hypochlorhydria. A decrease in stomach acid production is quite possibly, the most common condition known to man.
- Anemia – get checked for and properly treat Iron Deficiency Anemia, Folic Acid Anemia (if this exists, do NOT just take regular folic acid – you MUST use 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate), Pernicious Anemia, B12 Anemia.
- Heal the GUT – Intestinal permeability issues (Leaky Gut) is just about a guaranteed condition if you have cancer! Fix it!
- Nutrient Deficiencies
- Metabolic pathway blockages and Liver Detoxification pathway blockages – run an Organic Acid Profile and correct this!!!
- Identify Antigens and correct –
- Heavy Metal Toxicity issues
- Food sensitivities
- Parasites – most are subclinical
- Other Biotoxin – mold, fungus, H. Pylori…if you are not checking for these you may be COMPLETELY missing the boat as to CAUSE!!!
- Other Chemical toxicities – environmental toxicities are rampant
- Check and modulate Th1/Th2 balance (add appropriate nutrition/diet to deal with Antigen)
- Run appropriate Functional Medicine tests if necessary:
- Cyrex Labs profiles – remove all food sensitivities
- Complete Blood profiles – correct anemia, etc
- ASI from Diagnostechs – fix brain, gut etc
- Organix panel form Metamatrix – fix blocked pathways
- Doctor’s data provocation test for Heavy Metal Toxicity – chelate/correct the problemHormone/Toxin/other functional labs
- Th17 balance – Th17 is an inflammatory cytokine common in many conditions but more common to be elevated in Brain Cancers. If you have such a cancer, consider using Cocurcumin (from Ayush Herbs) ↑Brain Inflammation can be seen with all cancers
- NOS – this stands for nitric oxide synthase. iNOS – inducible (or cytokine inducible) nitrous oxide synthase is an inflammatory pathway commonly elevated in epithelial cancers. The anti-inflammatory protocols outlined in my book will help correct the iNOS levels but the nitric oxide differentiation is worth discussion:
- iNOS – cytokine inducible NOS = pro inflammatory, destructive
- eNOS – epithelial NOS – in blood vessels, helps dissolves plaques, decreases inflammation, increases blood flow, helps heal GALT (Gut Associated Lymphoid Tissue), MALT (Mucosa Associated Lymphoid Tissue)
- nNOS – neuronal NOS – in microglial and glial tissue (the brain) 10:1 concentration in neuronal tissue – very important in healing the brain
- Balance Cortisol levels Specific Tests:
- NF-kB levels – NF-kB promotes the growth of cancer. Curcumin is an inhibitor of NF-kb, so, a person whose cancer is expressing high levels of NF-kB might consider including Curcumin as part of their supplement program.
- GSTpi – Some cancers are able to produce GSTpi, which confers resistance to multiple chemotherapy drugs. Ellagic acid—from pomegranate—inhibits GST therefore, supplementation with Ellagic acid may be wise if CTC analysis demonstrates over production of GSTpi.
- Test and correct anything else; this is just the first of ten steps. In the upcoming posts we will cover all ten.
As always, I hope this helps!
Dr. Conners graduated with his doctorate from Northwestern Health Sciences University in 1986 and has been studying alternative cancer care for over 20 years. He holds AMA Fellowships in Regenerative & Functional Medicine and Integrative Cancer Therapy.
He is the author of numerous books including, Stop Fighting Cancer and Start Treating the Cause, Cancer Can’t Kill You if You’re Already Dead, Help, My Body is Killing Me, Chronic Lyme, 3 Phases of Lyme, 23 Steps to Freedom, and many more you can download for FREE on our books page.