Detoxification Simplified – Moving Backwards from Phase 6 to Phase 0
When we discuss the Phases of Detoxification, we are usually talking about the three phases of liver detoxification. However, if the ultimate purpose is to remove toxins from the body, we need to expand upon these steps. I like to talk about Seven Phases of Detoxification (Phase 0 – 6) and tell patients they had better begin with phase 6 and work backwards. Let me explain:
Phase 6: Proper Elimination
Daily bowel movements and healthy urinary habits are the final step in removing toxins from the body. It is one of our cardinal rules that health depends on eliminating wastes and we want everyone to be having a regular, daily bowel movement. It is even better to be having several daily bowel movements. If this isn’t happening for you, see the steps below. These are in order of what to try first, second, and so on. It is fine to do more than one of these at the same time. For each approach listed below, try for a day or two. If you have little or no success, add another approach:
Taking SunFiber or SunSpectrum (the products we usually recommend because they contain the best non-digestible fiber) can be a big help. Also, eating whole fruits and vegetables is so important. Find those products here:
Find those products here:
- SunFiber: SunFiber delivers 6 grams of clinically proven, clear, grit free soluble fiber. A true regulating fiber improves both conditions of occasional constipation and poor elimination as well as occasional diarrhea and loose stools. The result is regularity with healthy consistency.
Us Enzyme’s SunFiber promotes intestinal and colon health, aids in the transit of food through the intestines, promotes the absorption of essential minerals and helps control the glycemic index of foods. It dissolves fast and clear in your favorite beverage and won’t alter the taste or texture of foods. SunFiber may be added to recipes when cooking and baking. Simply stir in SunFiber until dissolved. Start with one scoop per day in a smoothie or drink
- SunSpectrum: SunSpectrum is a prebiotic plus a probiotic added to SunFiber along with Curcumin C3, Kaneka Q10, and Bifidobacterium lactis BI-04
SunSpectrum was developed as a combo product. It contains the wonderful ingredients of our SunFiber product to help increase the healing of the GUT plus the added bonuses of a probiotic, curcumin, and CoQ10 to reduce the need of additional supplements.
Magnesium and Vitamin C
Taking 500-700 mg Magnesium Citrate or Magnesium Malate with 1000-1500 mg Vitamin C one to two times per day will loosen the stools. Most people are already deficient in magnesium anyways so taking magnesium can benefit nearly every metabolic pathway. If one takes excess magnesium (as in this approach), you tend to dump it in the bowel, drawing water with it thereby loosening the stool. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water to make this happen.
Find those products here:
- MagnaClear: Magna Clear provides three unique forms of highly absorbed magnesium (as DiMagnesium Malate, Magnesium Citrate USP, TRAACS, Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate) to ensure maximum absorption of this important macromineral. Most magnesium supplements use only a single source of magnesium, which can easily overwhelm a single pathway of absorption and limit uptake. Start with 2-3 before bed, preferably with Vitamin C.
- Magnesium Malate: Magnesium malate is a good choice as it also may give a brain-calming effect and help induce sleep. Start with 2-3 before bed
- Buffered C: Taking a buffered Vitamin C can help prevent any stomach upset. Start by taking 2 with your magnesium before bed.
Cape aloe, the solid residue obtained by evaporating liquid aloe vera, has been shown in research to affect regularity, due to its influence on colon peristalsis, which it triggers to contract, resulting in accelerated intestinal passage. It has been used for thousands of years to promote the health of epithelial tissue, including the bowel lining and can work wonders for issues of constipation. Cape aloe is one of a class of compounds called anthraquinone glycosides. When ingested, these molecules are activated through bacterial metabolism in the gut that promotes water retention in the stool and stimulate peristalsis in the large intestine. By stimulating active chloride secretion, aloe increases the water and electrolyte content in the stool and helps even stubborn issues.
Find those products here:
- Super Aloe 250: I recommend that one begin with the 250 mg version to see how your body reacts. Start with one before bed and consider adding this to a magnesium as well.
- Super Aloe 450: This is the same as above yet in a higher milligram dosage.
Prune, Plum, Fig Juice
Drinking some good old-fashioned prune juice everyday can often do the trick.
- Ready! Set! Go!: This is a blend of all-natural fruits and plant extracts for children or adults with occasional constipation. The ingredients in this blend, which include prunes, psyllium husks, and ginger, have been used historically for the relief of occasional constipation and to soothe an achy stomach. Ready! Set! Go! has a pleasant flavor for easy compliance.
Senna is an herb. Celestial Seasons makes a Smooth Move tea that works well. The longer you steep it, the stronger it is, so be aware of this. Drinking one glass or more before bed usually helps by morning. There are many products on the market with Senna as well. The negative and positive about Senna is in its mechanism of action. It stimulates peristaltic contractions of the intestinal smooth muscles. This is great to create a bowel movement but can be fairly uncomfortable as it gives you a strong cramping. Try it once or twice, everyone is a bit different on how they react.
Cascara sagrada is primarily used to treat more severe constipation and should ONLY be used for a short time. The anthraquinones contained in the bark inhibit the absorption of water and electrolytes in the intestines. Because of this, stool volume increases as it absorbs the excess water, which increases pressure within the intestine. This stimulates muscle contractions in the colon, speeding the clearance of the bowel.
- Cascara Sagrada: Wild harvested tincture. Use 1 teaspoon (5ml.) twice daily for help with more severe constipation.
Even if you are already doing these, increasing the number per day can really help. Coffee enemas help cleanse the liver and stimulate the vagal nerve and colon function. You can also do an enema with probiotics, warm water, Epsom salts, and olive oil. We’ll talk more about coffee enemas later.
- Premium Enema kit: Premium Enema kits are suitable for all types of enemas including retention enemas, cleansing enemas, coffee enemas, Gerson Therapy and general colon cleansing. Plus, our kits are designed to be used discretely in the privacy of your own home, or with the assistance of a medical professional.
- A. Wilson’s Gold Roast Enema Coffee: Our organic coffee beans are purchased from small, independent farming co-operatives. And it’s not just our beans that are organic—it’s our process too! That means everything down to the products we clean our floors with are organic materials.
S.A. Wilson’s Gold Roast coffee is the first and only coffee that has been specifically blended and processed with higher levels of caffeine and palmitic acid in mind. It is also the only coffee that has been tested to guarantee these higher levels. The coffee is then put through a special three-stage process developed by founder Scott Wilson.
Here is more info on coffee enemas:
Visiting a clinic that specializes in colonic therapy can be beneficial to help clean out the gut. However, beware of doing more than just a few sessions regardless of what they are trying to sell you as you can flush your good flora with high colonics as well. Stick to 3-4 sessions to start.
Healthy kidney function is the second part of phase 6. One needs to be drinking enough water to be flushing out the kidneys and bladder. If you are not eliminating urine completely (as in prostate, kidney, bladder or urethral cancer), a catheter may be necessary. Kidney function testing can reveal a need for increased water intake as well. Products like our Kidney Korrect have herbs that help.
Sweating, i.e. detoxifying through one’s skin, is a helpful way to take pressure off the liver and kidneys. This is one reason that saunas are so beneficial. Doing a sauna several times per week aides in detoxification and can even raise the core body temperature to help kill cancers that are close to the skin surface. Doing foot bath detoxification and things like skin brushing can also help the process.
Read MORE on Phase 6 in my book, The Seven Phases of Detoxification
Phase 5 – Add a Gut “Binder”
Binders, in nutritional-speak, are nutraceuticals that have a tendency to bind to toxins to aide their removal. They are chelators that don’t absorb, staying in the gut to grab onto toxins and escort them into the toilet.
One major problem in clearing toxins is the fact that they tend to reabsorb in the gut and recirculate again. One reason this happens is an excessive intestinal transit time (food takes too long to get through the gut). Going back to Phase 6 helps with this. Another reason is an imbalance in hormones. Estrogens, especially “bad estrogens” (quinone estrogens, 4-hydroxy catechol estrogens) are easily reabsorbed in the large intestine, which is never a good thing. Using DIM can help prevent this as well as one or more of the binders listed below.
Some of our favorite Binder products include:
- Ultra Binder Sensitive Formula: Start by adding 1/8 teaspoon to a smoothie per day. You can mix it in water, but it doesn’t dissolve well. Add it to a juice if necessary.
- Code Age Universal Binder + Full Spectrum: This is a premium blend of activated charcoal, bentonite clay, humic acid, fulvic acid, organic broccoli sprouts, organic chlorella extract, wild yucca root extract, and molybdenum in an all-in-one formula that acts as a wonderful binder. Start by taking just 1 per day.
- ViRadChem Binder: ViRadChem Binder from CellCore is a game-changer. It is designed to get to the source of chronic symptoms by targeting viruses, retroviruses, radiation, and chemical toxins. Though it doesn’t perfectly fit my definition of a non-absorbing substance that remains in the gut, it acts wonderfully as a gut binder. Start with 2-3 capsules per day, split up through the day.
- Phase 3 Complete: Phase 3 Complete delivers an easy-to-use, all-in-one intestinal binder that has an extremely broad range in its ability to bind toxins in the gut. Start with 1-3 per capsules day.
Phase 4 – Flushing the Gallbladder
Phase 4 – Flushing the Gallbladder
The gallbladder is a pocket where your body stores bile. Bile is made in the liver and serves several purposes. It carries the excreted toxins from the liver to the intestinal tract and it is the main way we breakdown fat in the intestine. The reason we have a gallbladder to hold the bile is because of bile’s second function. Digestion of fats consumed is extremely important so bile needs to be in the intestinal lumen when fats are present. The gallbladder holds the bile until we eat fat thereby causing a contraction of the gallbladder, which squirts the majority of stored bile into the first part of the small intestine.
When we have sluggish bile or stones in the gallbladder, this process is not working efficiently. Less bile is present for fat digestion and worse, there exists a backup of toxins exiting the liver. The liver becomes congested and a cascade of problems can ensue including less liver uptake of toxins from the blood that causes toxins to be stored throughout the cells of the body. The liver may increase production of lower density cholesterol to help lubricate the process, which can contribute to other health issues.
Supporting gallbladder function is essential. One can get clues to gallbladder problems by seeing an elevated bilirubin on blood work, but functional issues can be present long before this occurs. We suggest doing a mild gallbladder flush on a regular basis and supporting its function with products like our Gallbladder ND.
What I recommend to aide Phase 4:
- Motility PRO: Motility PRO is a combination of ginger (Zingiber officinale) and artichoke leaf extract (Cynara cardunculus L.) delivered at a clinically proven dose to restore gastric motility. Artichoke is a great addition to aide in both bile formation as well as bile flow. Ginger adds a great anti-inflammatory herb for the liver and gallbladder as well. It is a distinctive blend of bioactives that promotes contractions in the migrating motor complex, helping to restore proper motility, which ensures the steady flow of food particles and bacteria through the small intestine. In addition, it provides support for improved digestion and relief from temporary gas, bloating and associated GI discomfort. Start with just one capsule per day on a relatively empty stomach.
- Mild Gallbladder Flush: see below
Phase 3 – Support Bile Excretion from the Liver (Flow)
As you can see, we are working our way backwards. Toxins enter the body through absorption through the gut, skin or lungs, circulate through the bloodstream and hopefully head out via the liver through the bile to the gallbladder to the gut and to the toilet. Our purpose is to aide this process.
Bile exits the liver through the right and left hepatic ducts that then form the common bile duct. Bile leaving the gallbladder exits into the common bile duct as well as does enzymes excreted by the pancreas. Cancers of the pancreas and/or bile duct and liver can interfere with this flow as can sluggish production of bile by the liver.
What I recommend:
- BodyBIO PC: BodyBio PC is made of pure phospholipids which automatically form liposomes in the body. Non-liposomal PC, such as lecithin, is broken down by digestion, preventing the positive impact PC has on improving your cellular health. BodyBio PC is a non-GMO, pure liposomal phospholipid complex, meaning the pure phospholipids are not broken apart and are instantly utilized, rebuilding every cell in your body. BodyBio PC contains concentrated levels of: Phosphatidylcholine (PC) – essential for memory.
Phosphatidylethanolamine (PE) – vital to mitochondrial function.
Phosphatidylinositol (PI) – supportive to the brain and neurotransmission. Low levels of Phosphatidylcholine (PC) in the body impacts the brain and heart, affecting memory, mental alertness, behavior, focus, and the ability to create bile. Start by taking one per day.
- Phase 2.5 Bile Support: The movement of conjugated toxins into the bile, coupled with the movement of bile salts and phosphatidylcholine is referred to as Phase 2.5 Detoxification. Often the process of Phase 2.5 Detoxification is not functioning properly due to inflammation, endotoxins from pathogenic intestinal flora, and hormone imbalances. Toxins will then be forced to be excreted back into the blood where they may cause further damage and increase stress on the kidneys.
NSI/Professional Health Products’ Phase 2.5 Complete Detox delivers powerful hepatoprotective & antioxidant nutrients that increase bile production and bile flow; increase phosphatidylcholine (the compound responsible for maintaining bile viscosity) and provide raw materials for proper bile salt conjugation.
Phase 2.5 Complete Detox features:
Artichoke (Cynara scolymus): Extremely safe, well-studied nutrient that has antioxidant, choleretic, hepatoprotective, bile-enhancing and lipid-lowering effects.
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale): Hepatic antioxidant that stimulates the production of bile and enhances bile flow into the intestine.
Choline bitartrate: Proper amounts of choline are needed to produce phosphatidylcholine; the nutrient needed to maintain proper bile viscosity. Exogenous oral choline administration has been shown to increase phosphatidylcholine and membrane phospholipid synthesis.
Taurine: Organic compound that functions in the conjugation of bile acids. It also has antioxidative and membrane stabilization effects.
Glycine: Essential amino acid that functions in the conjugation of bile acids and has been scientifically shown to increase portal blood flow, bile production, hepatic microcirculation and maintain cytochrome oxidase activity under conditions of hepatic injury.
- Phase 3 Complete: Phase 3 Complete Detox delivers an easy-to-use, all-in-one intestinal binder that has an extremely broad range in its ability to bind toxins to ensure proper completion of detoxification. The majority of toxins are excreted into the bile, which then travels from the liver to the gallbladder and then into the intestines– the endpoint being elimination through defecation. Many toxins can be reabsorbed through the intestines after excretion into the bile, which causes them to recirculate in the body and cause much harm. Using a comprehensive toxin-binder is imperative to ensure proper elimination. Start by taking 1 capsule, 3 times per day.
- One helpful way to support bile flow is to use heat over the liver / gallbladder area. Castor oil packswith heat can be even more helpful.
- Always consider coffee enemas for help with Phases 1-3.
Phase 2 – Conjugation
Phase 2 enzymes in the liver are regulated by a transcription factor called Nrf2 [nuclear factor erythroid 2 (NF-E2) p45-related factor 2]. Nrf2 is key to regulating the body’s detoxification and antioxidant system in other cells as well. When activated, Nrf2 dissociates from the cytosolic protein, Keap1 (we talk about this when we look at a person’s genes), and “turns on” the genes associated with phase II detoxification.
Nrf2-modulation by curcumin, sulforaphane, garlic, catechins (EGCg form green tea extract), resveratrol, ginger, coffee, rosemary, blueberry, pomegranate, ellagic acid, and Astaxanthin has proven to be great nutrients to stimulate Phase 2 detoxification.
For example, Sulfur transferase is a Phase 2 enzyme that adds sulfur groups to compounds in order to make them more water soluble and less reactive. This process is used on a wide variety of toxic molecules including phenols, amines, acetaminophen, and food dyes. Many chemicals that are able to become airborne are sulfated. Patients with autism have been found to have impaired sulfation ability, which will make these individuals more sensitive to toxins.
Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is an enzyme that is able to perform paraoxonase activity on substrates. This enzyme is able to hydrolyze and detoxify many different types of organophosphate molecules. PON1 is one of the major pathways that protect people from these types of compounds. Mutations to PON1 could lead someone to be more sensitive to pesticides and increase one’s risk for cancer. Infants do not have a lot of PON1 activity.
What I recommend:
- If you are new to a healthy lifestyle, it may be best to begin with dietary changes as listed above. Start by choosing to eat organically whenever possible. Eat more cruciferous and leafy green vegetables. Choose a salad over a hamburger. Start making smoothies with greens and whole fruits.
- Strongly consider having a competent practitioner run a full genetic profile. Phase 1 and 2 pathways are under strict supervision of specific genetic factors and knowing if you have SNPs influencing these is very helpful. Then you can hone in the most appropriate nutritional approach.
- If you feel you have a handle on diet and are adequately addressing Phases 3-6, then strongly consider supporting this pathway with some products listed below:
- FemGuard+Balance: Start with one to four per day to help keep hormones in balance and rid your body of exogenous, cancer-causing hormone metabolites. Oh, and forget the name, this is for males and females.
- AI: AI is specially formulated to help rid the body of mold, fungal, Lyme and other bacteria along with their co-infections without stimulating a strong immune response and makes a great addition to support Phase 2 liver pathways.
Grapeseed extract may serve as a direct attack on pathogens, coupled with the Glycine, and N-Acetyl Cysteine supporting cellular glutathione production, a key to your own defense. The Phosphatidylcholine and Gamma-tocotrienol support both cell membrane health and, along with Artichoke Leaf Extract, helps with Phase 2.5 and Phase 3 detoxification. The unique enzyme blend is added to for biofilms and Sodium Alginate for a gentle chelation and gut support.
- PON 1 Assist: PON1 Assist is a combo product created to help support people with defects in the PON1 detoxification genes. These genes are responsible for assisting your body to get rid of large chemicals such as pesticides, insecticides, vaccinations, some medications, as well as free radicals.
Mutations of the PON1 gene inhibit enzyme efficiency and are believed to create an increased risk for atherosclerosis and other coronary implications. Paraoxonase 1, also known as PON1, is a critical enzyme located on high density lipoproteins and is responsible for hydrolyzing organo-phosphates and insecticides; therefore, the PON1 enzyme directly regulates the ability to secrete these chemicals following an environmental exposure.
Organophosphates, the active ingredient found in herbicides, is known to disrupt the digestive tract and act as a neurotoxin. Symptoms of toxic levels of organophosphates include, but are not limited to, headaches, diarrhea, restlessness, convulsions, labored breathing, weakness, frequent urination, and nausea. Due to its location, the PON1 enzyme protects HDL’s against peroxidation that is implemented through contact with low density lipoproteins.
The ability to support the PON1 enzyme, through the supplementation of natural cofactors, has been revolutionized with PON1 Assist. Individuals with the PON1 variant should be advised to supplement with PON1 Assist for long term health support. Also consider using “Addex” Homeopathic formula if there has been exposure to insecticides and pesticides.
Phase 1 – The P450s
There are numerous enzymes and processes in the Phase 1 family but the 58 known cytochrome P450 enzymes are most important. While many things happen, we could summarize the process into their ability to take a toxin from the blood and make it able to be processed to get them out of the body.
For example, one P450, Cyp2C9, is involved with the metabolism of a large number of medications including NSAIDs, warfarin, and tamoxifen. Cyp2E1 is involved with the detoxification of many industrial pollutants, as well as carcinogens. Cyp2E1 also metabolizes ethanol to acetaldehyde and acetate. Cyp2E1 is also responsible for bioactivating a number of carcinogens, including cigarette smoke.
Supporting Phase 1 and 2 liver pathways – this is where understanding one’s genetic pathway issues come into play. CYP and PON1 defects help guide product use, but, in general, here are some ideas:
- PON1 Assist: See its description in Chapter 5. Take 1-3 per day
- Liver Health: Liver Health features Milk Thistle extract prepared from the dried whole seed of Silybum marianum plants. It also features Dandelion extract prepared from fresh (never dried) whole Taraxacum officinale plants (root, leaf & flower) grown on our Certified Organic farms in southern Oregon.
The spring-harvested plants are grown in neat rows and often have taproots over a foot in length. The herbs in this formula are individually extracted to provide a broad spectrum of therapeutic plant compounds. The formula is easily dispensed, taken in liquid form, and added to water or other liquid. I suggest to add 1-3 teaspoons to a smoothie per day or swallow and chase with a juice
- Liver ND: This is also a liquid. Liver-ND provides a unique, probiotic-fermented formula that delivers optimal detoxification and liver support. This formula features fermented milk thistle seed and fermented turmeric rhizome extract. In addition, two full spectrum, fermented botanicals, organic milk thistle seed and organic turmeric rhizome, are included for optimal nutritional effect.
This premier quality formula is fermented using a unique probiotic culture which allows rapid oral delivery and superior bioenergetic properties. Many people say they can feel the effect of this product the very first time they take it. – add 1-3 teaspoons to a smoothie per day or swallow and chase with a juice.
- Eco Liver: Eco Liver has been designed to provide the body with a high concentration of the biologically active components (proteins, hormones, and nucleic acids) contained in the raw gland tissue of the liver. Take 1-3 per day.
- Nrf2 Accelerator: Your Nrf2 pathway is your primary intracellular path to detoxify oxidizing agents. Failure for Nrf2 to be released to do its job (common with Keap1 gene defects) and Nrf2 production (NFE2 gene defects) may decrease Nrf2 function and be a cause of severe illness.
Nrf2, or nuclear factor erythroid-2-related factor 2, is a master transcription factor for hundreds of human genes involved in cell protection and detoxification. Nrf2 protects cells against oxidative stress and environmental toxins through the induction of cytoprotective genes.
Cells devote great energy to maintaining the Nrf2 pathway, ensuring its rapid induction upon cellular insult, with return to normal levels once the threat has been neutralized.
Nrf2 Accelerator is a great combination of nutrients that have been shown to support this pathway. Take 1-3 per day.
- HM-ND– This is also a liquid. HM-ND (Detox-ND), by Premier Research Labs, offers a micro-cultured, vegan, fermented botanical formula for full body detoxification. Add 1-3 teaspoons to a smoothie per day or swallow and chase with a juice
click to tweet
Phase 0 – Pulling Garbage Out of the Cells and Intracellular Spaces
Unfortunately, this is where many people want to start when they think they need to detoxify. It’s understandable, we want to ‘get rid of the mercury from our dental fillings’ or ‘detoxify chemicals we were just exposed to’ but starting here can be very dangerous.
It’s true that we are all toxic. Every day the above phases of detoxification are happening to one degree or another and to the extent they are hindered is the extent we become toxic.
We are what we eat. Well, we are what we absorb. Better stated, we are what we don’t detoxify! In a magical fairyland everything you absorb is quickly dumped into the toilet and all is well. In real life, endless events hinder this and cells gather poisons to store them away. Hopefully, they stay there until we die at age 120 but this isn’t always so. If they happen to interrupt normal cell death apoptosis pathways or worse, affect the replication rate of the nucleus, they are causes of cancer.
The way we pull junk out of our cells and tissues is by using a chelator. A chelator is simply a nutrient that tends to grab onto toxins and escorts them back to the blood where they can circulate to the liver and start Phase 1. However, I hope you’ve come to appreciate the need to make sure Phases 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.5, 2, and 1 are working well first before we start pulling garbage from the cells or we will just re-deposit them elsewhere!
I rank chelators from mild to strong and believe that one should NOT use strong chelators if one has mercury fillings in their teeth (silver fillings) or metal implants.
Mild Chelators (okay for most people)
- Chlora-Xyme: Chlora-Xym is a blend of three certified organic vegan superfoods in a base of proteolytic enzymes and probiotics. It was designed for the ultimate absorption of proteins, vitamins, minerals and micronutrients.
Organic green superfoods of Blue-Green Algae, Spirulina, and Chlorella are the most nutrient dense sources of protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and essential fatty acids available. They act as both a rich food source as well as a natural cleanser and detoxifier. Take 1-3 per day.
- ToxinPul: ToxinPul is a multi-function binder and detox support formula developed to provide your patients with the most comprehensive support available. Utilizing multiple mechanisms of action, ToxinPul binds toxins and metals throughout the body while supporting the healthy function of the critical detoxification pathways and organs such as the liver and the kidneys.
- HM-ND: HM-ND, like Chlora-Xym, is also an organic source of Chlorella, Cilantro, and Parsley in a probiotic culture. It works as a great heavy metal detox protocol in an easy to take liquid.
- PectaSol-C: This is a Modified Citrus Pectin powder that dissolves readily in orange juice and is a favorite among my cancer patients. Regular citrus pectin supports digestive health, but the molecules are too large to enter the circulation — meaning benefits are restricted to the GI tract alone. PectaSol-C® MCP solves this limitation with an advanced modification process that reduces the size and structure of the pectin. This allows PectaSol-C® to absorb into the circulation and deliver total-body benefits related to cellular health, immunity and more. I recommend that you add 1-3 scoops to orange juice to dissolve and drink.
- Homeopathic Chelators – The main principle of Homeopathy is stated as “let likes cure likes,” similia similibus curentur. While the concept of “like curing like” dates back to the Greek Father of Medicine, Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.), it was German physician Dr. C. F. Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843) who first codified this principle into a system of medicine.
The second principle is that of “minimal dose”. Typically, a homeopathic remedy, if taken to a biochemistry laboratory, would show no traces of the particular component in the remedy. Homeopathic remedies are thought to contain only the frequency of the component that then stimulate the body to make an appropriate response to such a frequency. This is where homeopathy has received the greatest amount of backlash from the medical community.
For the most part, homeopathic remedies are given in a liquid dropper or pellet form that are administered orally, by drop/pellet, under the tongue. We make specific homeopaths for our patients but there are numerous, great homeopathic companies that create some great products specifically to help detoxification:
- Detox Liquescence: Detox Liquescence is a homeopathic remedy formulation that supports the body’s natural detoxification processes. It contains a unique blend of homeopathic remedies such as echinacea, uva-ursi, thymus, gallbladder, kidney, and lymph that are gentle to the body but highly effective. Use as directed on bottle.
- Methylation Liquescence: Methylation Liquescence is a liquid homeopathic formulation that contains a unique blend homeopathic remedies used to assist in the removal of foreign particulates that may cause inflammation and oxidative stress as well as nutritive supportive remedies including vitamins B12, inositol, NADH, Quatrefolic (folate), SAMe, B6, B2, the minerals zinc and magnesium, and Avian Albumin.
I like Methylation Liquescence for the simple reason that, while it supports the methylation pathway, it doesn’t push the pathway too hard. Methylation is a necessary step in liver detoxification and has received a lot of popularity in nutrition circles. However, I think people make a huge mistake when they take excessive methyl support. Use as directed on bottle.
- Kidney Stim Liquescence: This is a great homeopathic formula to help stimulate normal kidney function without impacting one’s detoxification pathways with a blend of over a dozen homeopathic nutrients. Use as directed on the label.
- Lymph Stim Liquescence: Another great product to help stimulate lymph flow and decrease lymph fluid viscosity. Use as directed on the label.
- Metal-X Synergy– Metal-X-Synergy, from Designs for Health, is designed to help support the normal process of heavy metal and chemical detox from the body. It contains a wide array of ingredients working together to reduce the initial absorption of metals into the tissues and organs, pull them out more effectively, and help to decrease their reabsorption through enterohepatic recirculation.
I like Metal-X-Synergy because it contains multiple chelator complexes. Blended with modified citrus pectin (PectaSol-C®) and alginate (Algimate®), and two complex polysaccharides that work together to bind to heavy metals without depleting essential minerals from the body. Start by taking 1-3 per day, slit through the day.
- IP-6– Nature’s most effective iron-chelating molecule is inositol hexaphosphate (IP6), found naturally in seeds and bran. IP6 is not only an iron chelator but has an affinity for all metals. IP6 is a selective agent against cancer cells as well. Because cancer cells are high in iron content, IP6 directs most of its attention to abnormal cells since IP6 acts as a selective iron chelator. IP6 selectively removes iron from tumors cells (stealing one of its major food sources), which deprives them of a primary growth factor. Note, IP6 does not remove iron from red blood cells which are tightly bound to hemoglobin. Unlike cancer drugs, healthy cells are not affected with IP6, so IP6 has very low toxicity.
I love IP6 as a simple, safe chelator especially if you are dealing with heavy metals like aluminum, lead and mercury. Start by take 1-3 per day, split through the day.
Strong Chelators (do NOT use if you have silver fillings):
- ChelaClear: Chela Clear by Conners Clinic Originals is designed to help the body rid itself of damaging oxidative elements. It features specialized ingredients, such as EDTA, Himilayan shilajit extract (50% fulvic acid), chlorella, coriander, and antioxidant-stimulating nutrients. I classify this as a strong chelator simply because of the EDTA, which has the possibility of pulling silver from fillings.
Himalayan Shilajit Extract (Asphaltum punjabinum) is a purified form of shilajit also known as salajit, shilajatu, mimie, or mummiyo. This naturally occurring phytocomplex is found in high mountain rocks, especially those of the Himalayas and Hindu Kush ranges of the Indian subcontinent.
EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) is a synthetic amino acid compound and perhaps the most well-known and often- used intravenous chelating agent. Oral EDTA is poorly absorbed, but it is thought to support detoxification of metals largely in the gastrointestinal tract. More studies are needed to validate oral administration. It is believed that there is a benefit in combining EDTA with other chelators because EDTA acts slowly and could potentially lead to redeposition of metals. Due to EDTA’s metal-binding ability, it is important to replace beneficial minerals, such as zinc, copper, iron, cobalt, and manganese.
Coriander Seed Extract (water-extracted) (Coriandrum sativum), also known as cilantro, appears to suppress the deposition of lead and arsenic by chelating these metals. N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) and Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) are well-known for their antioxidant activity. Exposure to heavy metals increases free radical production and oxidative stress.
Research suggests that there is a beneficial role for free radical scavengers in reducing the oxidative stress that is common with toxic metal exposure. NAC has the ability to interact with reactive oxygen species (ROS) and stimulate the body to produce glutathione. This can enhance cell survival after exposure to heavy metals or toxins. In addition, ALA may directly chelate or reduce the oxidative capacity of metals, such as copper, arsenic, cadmium, and mercury.
These and other ingredients in Chela Clear perform in concert to support your health when your body is challenged by environmental toxins, such as heavy metals. Start with only 1 per day.
Note: While all 5 steps can be done at the same time, it may be best to START with phase 6 and working backwards just as I listed them, progressing slowly over multiple weeks. And, as always, it is best to have a qualified practitioner help you along the way.
Dr. Conners graduated with his doctorate from Northwestern Health Sciences University in 1986 and has been studying alternative cancer care for over 20 years. He holds AMA Fellowships in Regenerative & Functional Medicine and Integrative Cancer Therapy.
He is the author of numerous books including, Stop Fighting Cancer and Start Treating the Cause, Cancer Can’t Kill You if You’re Already Dead, Help, My Body is Killing Me, Chronic Lyme, 3 Phases of Lyme, 23 Steps to Freedom, and many more you can download for FREE on our books page.