What You Should Never Take if you Have Cancer:
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) and Growth Hormone Stimulators (do NOT take either)
HGH has been a big hype in the professional athletic world and nutritional companies have been selling HGH stimulators for years. HGH stimulates production of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), a hormone that has growth-stimulating effects on a wide variety of tissues. It helps tissues grow, including bones and muscles.
In addition to increasing height in children and adolescents, growth hormone has many other effects on the body:
- Increases calcium retention, and strengthens and increases the mineralization of bone
- Increases muscle mass
- Promotes lipolysis (breakdown of fat)
- Increases protein synthesis
- Stimulates the growth of all internal organs excluding the brain
- Plays a role in homeostasis (normal balance of everything)
- Reduces liver uptake of glucose
- Promotes gluconeogenesis in the liver
- Contributes to the maintenance and function of pancreatic cells
- Stimulates the immune system
In paper, it seems that HGH would be great for cancer, but it’s NOT! It has been shown to cause cancer cells to grow!!! I have never promoted hormone therapy and this is another reason why I take that stance. Simple: Don’t artificially mess with hormones. Also, do NOT take the HGH stimulators if you have cancer!!
More on IGF-1
There have been recent studies that higher levels of IGF-1 can increase the risk of different cancers. I already stated above that taking HGH or HGH stimulators will increase IGF-1, but dietary considerations are important as well. IGF-1’s primary action is mediated by binding to its specific receptor in the cell membrane, the Insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF1R), present on many cell types in many tissues. When IGF-1 docks into the IGF1R, it initiates intracellular signaling; IGF-1 is one of the most potent natural activators of the AKT signaling pathway, a stimulator of cell growth and proliferation. That’s what it’s supposed to do – stimulate GROWTH. BUT it also is an extremely potent inhibitor of programmed cell death (apoptosis).
So, – higher levels of IGF-1 = decreased death of cells that are supposed to die – increased IGF-1 = increased cancer growth!
What can you do about it?
- Don’t take HGH or natural stimulators of HGH
- Watch your diet! Sugar stimulate IGF-1 production
- Stop/decrease bad carbohydrates other than sugar (see Cancer Diet)
- Reduce body fat – exercise
- Get help for Metabolic Syndrome (talk to your doctor)
Please see my blog on A Guide to General Supplements For Cancer Patients for more information what what you SHOULD take and a general overview of supplements for cancer patients.
Buy Stop Fighting Cancer & Start Treating the Cause to learn more about alternative cancer treatments.
Dr. Conners graduated with his doctorate from Northwestern Health Sciences University in 1986 and has been studying alternative cancer care for over 20 years. He holds AMA Fellowships in Regenerative & Functional Medicine and Integrative Cancer Therapy.
He is the author of numerous books including, Stop Fighting Cancer and Start Treating the Cause, Cancer Can’t Kill You if You’re Already Dead, Help, My Body is Killing Me, Chronic Lyme, 3 Phases of Lyme, 23 Steps to Freedom, and many more you can download for FREE on our books page.