Classifying Herbs, Standardization, and the Pharmaceutical Industry
Continuing with our series on herbal medicine, founder and executive director of the American Botanical Council Mark Blumenthal talks about the various classifications of herbs, including adaptogens and nervines. Blumenthal also talks about standardization of herbs and the involvement of the pharmaceutical industry.
“What’s the first herb that comes to your mind when I say…”
- Adaptogenic? Ginseng, rhodiola, ashwagandha
- Nervine? Skullcap, valerian, passion flower
- Digestive health? Mint, dill, fennel
- Stress and anxiety? Kava – and learning to take deep breaths!
- Cardiovascular? Garlic, hawthorn leaf and flower
- Cognition? Bacopa, ginkgo
Listen to Dr. John Troup’s podcast: