The family of B vitamins are necessary drivers of liver detox pathways. They are also your best protection against elevated levels of homocysteine, an amino acid produced in the body that in excess, can increase your risk of mood disorders, poor mental performance, and Alzheimer’s disease.
A wide range of drugs, from aspirin to estrogen to diuretics to stomach acid suppressors (such as Nexium and Prilosec) can interfere with the metabolism of one or more B vitamins, which then block detoxification and can result in elevated levels of homocysteine. You who are worried about your ability to rid the body of poisons as well as preserving your brain power, take note: medical research now clearly links poor performance on mental function tests to elevated homocysteine levels. Having too many toxins and too much of this amino acid floating around in your bloodstream can cost you more than a few IQ points! B vitamins are also critical for mood and concentration, and a severe deficiency in B vitamins (especially vitamin B12 can result in symptoms such as severe confusion and mental fog at any age. Elevated levels of homocysteine and/or low levels of B vitamins can also increase the risk of depression, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia, heart disease, and even certain types of cancer.
Here are the worst culprits:
- Generic name: Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). Brand Names: Pure aspirin is sold under numerous brand names, including many private store labels. Percodan and Empirin are combination aspirin and codeine products.
- Generic name: Trimethoprim: antibiotic frequently prescribed for chronic urinary tract infections. Brand Names: Bactrim, Septra
- Generic name: Cimetidine. Brand Names: Tagamet
- Generic name: Famotidine. Brand Names: Pepcid
- Generic name: Ranitidine. Brand Names: Zantac, Zantac 75
- Generic name: Lansoprazole. Brand Names: Prevacid
- Generic name: Nizatidine. Brand Names: Axid
- Generic name: Omeprazole. Brand Names: Prilosec
- Generic name: Metformin. Brand Names: Glucophage
- Generic name: Beclomethasone (oral inhaler). Brand Name: Vanceril
- Generic name: Budesonide (oral inhaler). Brand Name: Pulmacort
- Generic name: Budesonide (nasal inhaler). Brand Name: Rhinocort
- Generic name: Flunisolide (nasal inhaler). Brand Name: Nasalide
- Generic name: Flunisolide (oral inhaler). Brand Name: Aerobid
- Generic name: Fluticasone (oral inhaler). Brand Name: Flovent
- Generic name: Mometasone (nasal inhaler). Brand Name: Nasonex
- Generic name: Triamcinolone (oral inhaler). Brand Name: Azmacort
- Generic name: Theophylline. Brand Name: Aerolate
Blood Pressure-Lowering Drugs
- Generic name: Bumetanide. Brand Name: Bumex
- Generic name: Hydroclorothiazide (HCTZ), used alone or in combination with other drugs. Brand Names: Aldactazide, Capozide, Combipres, Dyazide, HydroDIURIL, Hyzaar, Lopressor-HCT, Lotensin HCT, Maxide, Microzide, Moduretic, Prinzide, Vaseretic, Zestoretic.
- Generic name: Triamterene. Brand Name: Dyrenium, or in combination with other drugs in Maxide and Dyazide.
- Generic name: Furosemide. Brand Name: Lasix
- Generic name: Hydralazine. Brand Name: Apresoline
- Generic name: Torsemide. Brand Name: Demadex
- Generic name: Carbamazepine. Brand Name: Tegretol
- Generic name: Ethosuximide. Brand Name: Zarontin
- Generic name: Fosphenytoin. Brand Name: Cerebyx
- Generic name: Mephobarbital. Brand Name: Mebaral
- Generic name: Phenobarbital. Brand Name: Phenobarbital
- Generic name: Phenytoin. Brand Name: Dilantin
- Generic name: Primidone. Brand Name: Mysoline
- Generic name: Valproic Acid. Brand Name: Depakote, Depakene
- Generic name: Cholestyramine. Brand Name: Colestid
There are dozens of different brands of estrogen products, and I have only listed the major brands here. If you are taking estrogen in the form of birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy, even if you don’t see your particular estrogen drug on the list, assume that it works just like any other estrogen and that you need to compensate for the loss of B vitamins by taking additional B vitamins.
- Generic name: Estrogens (with or without progesterone) as contraceptives, oral or skin patch. Brand Names: Ortho-Novum, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ovral, Ovcon, Demulen, Loestrin (any estrogen-containing oral contraceptive.)
- Generic name: Estrogens (with or without progesterone) for hormone replacement therapy for menopause or hysterectomy; oral, skin patch, or cream. Brand Names: Premarin, Prempro, Activela, Combinpatch, Estrotest, any hormone replacement product containing estrogen.
Estrogen Substitutes for Osteoporosis
- Generic name: Raloxifene. Brand Name: Evista
- Generic name: Carbidopa and levodopa. Brand Name: Sinemet
Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS)
- Generic name: Celecoxib. Brand Name: Celebrex
- Generic name: Ibuprofen. Brand Name: Advil, Bayer Select, Motrin, Midol, etc.
- Generic name: Indomethacin. Brand Name: Indocin
- Generic name: Naproxen. Brand Name: Naprosyn, Aleve, etc.
Corticosteroids: Anti-inflammatory Drugs
Used to treat asthma, arthritis, allergy, and pain.
- Generic name: Methyl Prednisolone. Brand Name: Medrol
- Generic name: Prednisone. Brand Name: Deltasone, Orasone
Dr. Conners graduated with his doctorate from Northwestern Health Sciences University in 1986 and has been studying alternative cancer care for over 20 years. He holds AMA Fellowships in Regenerative & Functional Medicine and Integrative Cancer Therapy.
He is the author of numerous books including, Stop Fighting Cancer and Start Treating the Cause, Cancer Can’t Kill You if You’re Already Dead, Help, My Body is Killing Me, Chronic Lyme, 3 Phases of Lyme, 23 Steps to Freedom, and many more you can download for FREE on our books page.