The liver is an essential organ of detoxification and performs over 700 functions, far more than any other organ in the body. We cannot be healthy or recover from illness without a strong, clean well-functioning liver. If the liver is unable to carry out its full function, not only does it become congested and weak; all other organs will be more challenged as a result.
NOTE: It is HIGHLY recommended that you ONLY attempt the following flushes under supervision of an experienced practitioner.
The following two flushes are liver/gallstone flushes to do at home. The first one is considered the milder version though it takes a week to complete. The second flush can be done in just 24 hours, so it is easy to fit into a busy schedule, but it can be a bit harsher and I recommend to start with the MILD version.
1. Mild Gallbladder Flush
Mild Gallbladder FLUSH
This mild gallbladder flush requires six days, beginning on a Monday and ending on a Saturday. Before you begin, you’ll need to purchase:
- Plenty of apple juice or cider (not concentrate, but the real thing, without added sugars and preferably ORGANIC)
- Phase 4 Assist Capsules (you can purchase these from our online store)
- Citrus fruits for fresh-squeezed juice (you can substitute canned or bottled citrus fruit if you prefer) and to eat whole
- Unrefined olive oil, which is available at most health food stores
- Lemon juice
Starting on Monday morning, follow these instructions:
- Monday morning through noon on Friday, drink as much apple juice or apple cider as your appetite will permit, in addition to your regular meals. This helps soften any stones that are in your gallbladder.
- STOP eating any FAT for the entire week. That means NO DAIRY or NUTS as well.
- On Friday, three hours after lunch (about 3 p.m.), take 3 capsules of Motility PRO with 8 ounces of water.
- Two hours later (at 5 p.m.), repeat step 3.
- Limit your evening meal to grapefruit, grapefruit juice, or other citrus fruits or juices.
At bedtime, take either:
- ½ cup of unrefined olive oil followed by a small glass of grapefruit juice, or ½ cup of warm, unrefined olive oil blended with ½ cup of lemon juice.
- Go immediately to bed. For the first 30 minutes, lie on your right side with your right knee pulled up close to your chest.
- The next morning, one hour before breakfast, take 3 capsules of Motility PRO with 8 ounces of water.
- Continue with your normal diet and activities.
What You Can Expect During the Gallbladder Flush
Some people feel slightly nauseated while they’re drinking the olive oil and citrus juice mixture. If you do, don’t fret. The feeling will disappear soon enough.
You may also feel some discomfort in the area of your gallbladder—what’s known as the upper right quadrant, on the right side of your abdomen just below the rib cage. This can be a good sign because it indicates your gallbladder is being stimulated. This feeling will also pass with time.
On Saturday and Sunday, you’ll likely feel the urge to defecate and may notice a change frequency and color of your bowel movements. This is natural and is a result of the increased amount of bile released after the gallbladder flush.
Some people report the presence of what look like dark green peas or even marbles in their stool. This is softened material from the gallbladder that has not yet become calcified. Again, it’s not cause for alarm, and indicates that the gallbladder cleansing has been effective.
2. Epsom Salt Flush
Though not necessary, I recommend that you have done a full 7-day cleanse prior to this flush, mainly to take the toxic pressure off your organs and to be sure that your body is alkaline.
For about 5-6 days before the cleanse, it is important to avoid fried and fatty foods so your liver is not over-worked or stressed. Avoid avocado, dairy, nuts and fatty meats for at least 5 to 6 days before this cleanse. If you work a normal Monday – Friday work week, it is best to plan to do this cleanse on Friday night (avoiding fatty foods from Sunday to that Friday), that way you have the entire weekend to rest, relax and recover.
If you release many visible stones (yes, look in the toilet) in the first flush, it is recommended that you repeat the cleanse again in 6-8 weeks and then maybe once or twice a year.
• Epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate): 4 tablespoons. (You can usually buy this at your local pharmacy.)
• Olive oil: 1/2 cup or 125 ml (light olive oil is easier to get down).
• Fresh pink grapefruit: 1 large or 2 small, enough to squeeze 1/2 cup (125 ml) juice. (Or use 7-8 fresh lemons/limes: squeezed into 1/2 cup juice)
• Jar or water bottle with lid – must be able to hold at least 3 cups to hold Epsom salt/water solution.
• Jar with lid (pint sized jelly jar works well) to mix olive oil/juice drink
1. Preparation – On Sunday through Friday, eat a diet high in alkaline-forming foods (veggies) and low in fats for at least 5 days before the cleanse. Help to gently prepare the liver by having three glasses of apple juice (preferably organic) every day for this week prior to the cleanse. Apple juice helps to dissolve the stones.
I also suggest eating beets every day during this time as well, but be warned: your BM and urine will appear red/purple.
Again, choose a day like Friday or Saturday for the cleanse, since you will be able to rest the next day. Eat a no-fat breakfast and lunch such as cooked cereal, fruit, fruit juice, bread and preserves or honey (no butter or milk). This allows the bile to build up and develop pressure in the liver. Higher pressure pushes out more stones.
2. On the morning of the cleanse, prepare the following formula below.
3. Mix 4 Tablespoons of Epsom Salts and 3 cups water in your water container. Mark it off to separate it into 4 equal sections to know how much to drink each time (3/4 cup per time). Set the jar/container in the refrigerator to get cold (this is for convenience and taste only).
4. 2:00 PM. Do not eat or drink after 2 o’clock. If you break this rule you could feel quite ill later.
5. 6:00 PM. Drink one serving (¾ cup) of the Epsom salts/water drink. If you did not prepare this ahead of time, mix 1 tbs. in ¾ cup water now. You may add 1/8 tsp. vitamin C powder or 1/4 fresh lemon squeezed to improve the taste. You may also drink a few mouthfuls of water afterwards or rinse your mouth.
6. 8:00 PM. Repeat by drinking another ¾ cup (185 ml) of Epsom salts and water drink. Get ready for bedtime. The timing is critical for success.
7. 9:45 PM. Pour ½ cup (measured) olive oil into the pint jar. Squeeze the citrus fruit (fresh grapefruit, lime or lemon) by hand into the measuring cup. Remove pulp with fork. You should have at least ½ cup. Add this to the olive oil. Close the jar tightly with the lid and shake hard until watery. Do not drink it yet!
8. Now visit the bathroom one or more time, even if it makes you late for your ten o’clock drink. Don’t be more than 15 minutes late. You will get fewer stones.
9. 10:00 PM. Drink the potion you have mixed. Take it all to your bedside if you want, but drink it standing up. Get it down within 5 minutes (fifteen minutes for very elderly or weak persons).
10. Lie down immediately. You might fail to get stones out if you don’t. The sooner you lie down the more stones you will get out. Be ready for bed ahead of time. Don’t clean up the kitchen. As soon as the drink is down walk to your bed and lie down on your right side with your knees pulled up close to your chest. Try to think about what is happening in the liver. Try to keep perfectly still for at least 20 minutes. You may feel a train of stones traveling along the bile ducts like marbles. There is no pain because the bile duct valves are open (thank you Epsom salts!). Go to sleep, you may fail to get stones out if you don’t. Try to sleep in this position.
11. Early the next morning: Upon awakening, take your third dose of the Epsom salts and water drink. If you have indigestion or nausea wait until it is gone before drinking the Epsom salts. You may go back to bed. Don’t take this potion before 6:00 am.
13. After two more hours you may eat. Start with fruit juice (see note below). Half an hour later eat fruit (see note below). One hour later you may eat regular food but keep it light. By supper you should feel recovered.
*NOTE – Fresh apple juice is the best juice to break the fast. At 10:00am, make fresh apple juice using 5-6 large apples in a juicer or blender and drink it. The apple juice helps dissolve gallstones and is a nice transition for the liver from the detox back to normal eating. After 30 minutes, prepare a chopped apple salad or a plain apple smoothie using 3-4 apples (with the skin is okay). If feeling unwell, stay with apples and apple juice for the entire day and only transition to light foods, salads and regular eating when you are feeling good again.
How well did you do? Expect diarrhea in the morning. Use a flashlight to look for gallstones in the toilet with the bowel movement. Look for the green kind since this is proof that they are genuine gallstones, not food residue. Only bile from the liver is pea green. The bowel movement sinks but gallstones often float because of the cholesterol inside. The first cleanse may rid you of them for a few days, but as the stones from the rear travel forward, they give you the same symptoms again. You may repeat cleanses at two-week intervals. Never cleanse when you are [acutely] ill.
Sometimes the bile ducts are full of cholesterol crystals that did not form into round stones. They appear as “chaff” floating on top of the toilet bowl water. It may be tan colored, harboring millions of tiny white crystals. Cleansing this chaff is just as important as purging stones.
How safe is the liver cleanse? It is very safe. However, it can make you feel quite ill for one or two days afterwards, although in every one of these cases the maintenance parasite program had been neglected. If you have severe, acute pain, I must recommend that you check into an ER.
You may also accompany this cleanse with castor oil packs over the liver/gallbladder area.
Dr. Conners graduated with his doctorate from Northwestern Health Sciences University in 1986 and has been studying alternative cancer care for over 20 years. He holds AMA Fellowships in Regenerative & Functional Medicine and Integrative Cancer Therapy.
He is the author of numerous books including, Stop Fighting Cancer and Start Treating the Cause, Cancer Can’t Kill You if You’re Already Dead, Help, My Body is Killing Me, Chronic Lyme, 3 Phases of Lyme, 23 Steps to Freedom, and many more you can download for FREE on our books page.