The Budwig Diet Protocol
There are two parts of the Budwig Diet that are used concurrently. One of them is a natural medicine, which is a blend of something containing high amounts of sulfur proteins, and flax seed oil to provide safe omega-3 oils in the appropriate levels. Fish oil is avoided because there is a high risk of impurities, it is always rancid from heavy industrial processing, and it can dangerously upset the balance of the omega oils further. Dr. Budwig discovered that the body will synthesize omega-3 from flax seed oil in the exact quantity that it needs, and in the proper ratio with other omega oils. This medicine is normally taken orally, but in the most terminal cases, Dr. Budwig was also known to have given large doses of pure flax seed oil in enema form. The other phase of the Budwig Protocol is a special diet. Dramatic results are usually seen within 90 days, and sometimes within a week. Patients should continue the regimen for a minimum of 6 months, regardless of a disappearance of symptoms.
“…I investigated the high temperature treatment for fish oils, for the purpose of making them keep longer, and killing their fishy taste. I came to the conclusion that these oils do great harm to the entire internal glandular system, as well as to the liver and other organs and are therefore not suitable for human consumption.”
— Dr. Johanna Budwig, Flax Oil as a True Aid Against Heart Infarction, Cancer and Other Diseases
Dr. Johanna Budwig recommended the following meal as a protocol, once a week for people of good health, as a cancer preventative. It was required for cancer patients as part of her protocol, wherein it was consumed at least once a day, although twice was preferred. This nutritional therapy is called the “Flax Seed Muesli”, and it can be blended into a smoothie. Since genuine quark cheese is not available in most countries, see our later recommendations for alternatives to quark cheese.
Flax Seed Muesli
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of freshly ground flax seeds to a bowl. Make certain to only use flax seeds that have been freshly ground.
- Next, add a mixture of fresh organic fruits (any fruits that are in season, such as apples, berries, peaches, grapes etc.) Never use bananas, because Dr. Budwig felt that bananas quickly push the blood sugar level high in cancer patients.
- Take 3 tablespoons of flax seed oil and mix it with 100 grams (about 7 tablespoons) of quark. Add about 3 tablespoons of unhomogenized (“creamline”) milk to create a smooth mixture. It is best to blend it, in order to get it mixed most thoroughly. More flax seed oil may be used, depending upon personal taste, but if the quark does not fully absorb the oil, then more has been used than is needed. Add the resultant mixture to the bowl.
- You may optionally improve the flavor by adding vanilla or cinnamon. The latter will help to regulate blood sugar.
- Add some organic nuts on top. All organic nuts are fine, but peanuts are the least helpful.
- little garlic
- little cayenne pepper
- champagne (for the worst cases — always given in the first couple of days)
In addition to this, Dr. Budwig incorporated flax seed oil or freshly ground flax seeds into her patients’ diets every three hours. She often gave them Linomel. This is only available in Germany, but it is simply a combination of ground flax seeds and honey. She recommended 2 tablespoons of Linomel every three hours during the day, in addition to the muesli once or twice daily. Those who are seeking to grind flax seeds may use a coffee grinder to do so.
Those who do not have cancer, and are merely concerned with routine health maintenance, can simply combine 3 to 4 grams of flax seed oil with roughly 3 fluid ounces of sulfur proteins (e.g. quark, goat cheese, etc.), and consume this daily.
A cancer patient should not be concerned about getting too much flax. Dr. Budwig regularly created foods using flax seeds, but readers should beware of the flax that is used in modern foods. Flax should never be cooked, and it should not be stored after it has been ground, because its otherwise beneficial oils become rancid easily. This means that the flax found in retail foods is virtually always harmful, and it worsens cancers. The companies that are selling it as a healthy ingredient must know this.
The Official Budwig Diet
- SUGAR IS ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN. Grape juice may be added to sweeten any other freshly-squeezed juices.
- Avoid pure animal fats, such as lard, fatback, dripping, etc.
- No commercial salad dressings or toppings.
- No commercial mayonnaise (bastardized, radioactive, genetically engineered, corn, canola and soy oils).
- No meats unless organic and preferably range fed.
- No butter, and especially no margarine or other artificial butters.
- Freshly squeezed vegetable juices are encouraged, especially carrot, celery, apple, and red beet. All-natural juice drinks are fine, with special preference to completely organic drinks.
- Three times daily a warm tea is essential. Good choices are peppermint, rose hips, or grape tea. Sweeten it only with honey. One cup of black tea before noon is fine.
- Avoid all artificial sweeteners (including high-fructose corn syrup).
- Entirely chemical-free diet.
- Avoid all processed foods.
- Avoid all soft drinks.
- Avoid tap water and bottled water, and use products free of fluoride.
- Eat all foods freshly prepared — no reheating and no leftovers.
- Never use fish oil.
- Coconut oil is a source of omega-3 that is beneficial, and it was recommended by Dr. Budwig.
- Most patients will need to use an alternative to quark cheese, because it is unattainable in most areas. Non-homogenized yogurt is an acceptable option, and it is available in health food stores. Goat milk cheese is a better alternative. Most yogurt, cottage cheese, and other soft cheese products are less desirable alternatives, for they are made from homogenized milk. Such products should be assumed to be homogenized unless labels clearly state otherwise. They should only be used if goat cheese and non-homogenized yogurt are not available, or if they are unaffordable. It is important to supplement with vitamin C and folate if homogenized dairy products are used, in order to protect against inflammation and potentially irreversible arterial damage. The supplements do not provide complete protection against homogenized products, but they are quite helpful.
- The flax seed (linseed) oil used in the protocol should be protected from air, heat, and light to prevent it from becoming harmfully rancid. It should always be cold pressed and preferably organic. Keep it refrigerated and sealed. Do not purchase flax seed oil in bottles unless each bottle will be used within 1 day after being opened. Discard opened bottles after 24 hours. If the oil develops any sort of rancid (fishy) smell before then, it should also be discarded. Unopened flax seed oil should be stored in a cold, dark place to prevent toxic breakdown. Those using the Budwig Protocol for routine health maintenance will use smaller amounts. They should instead purchase dark, light-resistant capsules of flax seed oil, puncture the capsules with a needle just before use, and squeeze out the oil. Avoid flax that is present in pre-made foods, such as flax cereals, flax flour, or flax-containing granola, because such flax is a rancid carcinogen from heat and processing. These precautions are necessary because of how reactive flax seed oil is with oxygen. There is breakdown of flax seed oil within 15 minutes of it being exposed to heat, air, and light.
- Avoid non-flax sources of omega-3, except for baked fish and eggs. Avoid fried fish.
- Dr. Budwig never endorsed or used low-fat products, as many websites are now falsely claiming. Man-made and man-altered fats are the problem, and beneficial fats are part of the Budwig solution.
- We suggest either spring water or water filtered through a Berkey water filter that includes the optional fluoride filters. Avoid tap water.
- Green tea with honey and lemon juice. A pinch of cayenne may be helpful too.
- No microwaving food.
- Avoid hydrogenated oils.
- Attempt to wean off of all pharmaceuticals.
- Supplement with chlorophyll.
- Drink the Green Drink regularly to ensure proper nutrition.
- Eat an alkalizing diet.
- Take a large dose of vitamin C daily. Do not take more than 5 grams per day, because massive doses will cause kidney stress. More than two grams could be problematic for patients with kidney or liver cancers.
- Avoid sunscreens, cosmetics, and the toxic lotions that are found at regular retailers.
- At least once a day, we suggest a lemon and pineapple drink, because of its ability to improve body pH rapidly.
- Avoid white bread, white rice, white sugar, white flour, and anything else that is a simple starch, overprocessed, or bleached with chlorine compounds.
- Avoid table salt and use a high quality sea salt from a health food store.
- Delay detoxifying whenever a person is severely ill or unstable.
- Delay detoxifying if it is liver or kidney cancer.
- Get a water filter for shower water with the priority of getting all chlorine removed.
- Do not use tap water in a vaporizer, because it will release chlorine gas.
- Find safer alternatives to common soaps, bleaches, and detergents.
- Eliminate candida, which should already happen with the Budwig Protocol.
- Avoid all vaccines.
- Avoid your doctor. Seriously. This could be the most important rule if you want to live.
- Avoid soy products and canola oil.
- Use iodine transdermally, but beware of povidone iodine. If a pill form is necessary, then supplement only with red marine algae capsules. Do not use any other type of oral supplementation for iodine.
- For deathly ill patients, see a specialist, such as a naturopathic doctor (N.D.) who can provide IV’s, including safe hydrogen peroxide if necessary.
- Use vitamin B-17 for bad cases, but avoid for people with impaired livers.
Books by Johanna Budwig
Only three of Johanna’s books have been translated into English. Six books are only available in German. The English books are listed below.
- The Oil-Protein Cookbook (l-Eiwei-Kost) Sensei Verlag (2000)
- Cancer – The Problem and the Solution (Krebs. Das Problem und die Lsung) Sensei Verlag (1999)
- Flax Oil As A True Aid Against Arthritis, Heart Infarction, Cancer And Other Diseases (Fette als wahre Hilfe gegen Arteriosklerose, Herzinfarkt, Krebs) 1972