What to Expect When You Start DETOXING
Detoxification or cleansing is very misunderstood. Cleansing allows the body to eliminate used wastes and toxins and helps improve our health as it removes harmful substances we inhale, ingest and are exposed to every day.
Most people think of a cleansing program or detox as a way to purge their system of the poor food they have eaten and think of this as a way to lose weight. While it certainly helps with weight loss, cleansing or detoxing is also a valuable and healthy process for those who have undergone heavy pharmaceutical intravenous drugs, or who have been hospitalized. It’s also a must for anyone who has (or suspects they have) any food intolerance’s and always essential if you’ve been diagnosed with yeast overgrowth (Candida).
What actually happens when you detox:
Remember that the liver is not only the body’s main detoxifying organ it also has a dual role in proper digestion of food. This is why so many people find it very difficult to lose unwanted weight – there livers are overloaded and fat loves to hold on to toxins! When we detoxify our body’s liver must convert fat soluble substances to water-soluble (Phase I and Phase II) before they can be eliminated. It’s a complicated process to convert these fat soluble toxins to water-soluble ones and involves a number of steps in the metabolic process. Frequently, when people move too quickly, or have problems with some part of this conversion process they end up with toxic metabolites that are far worse than those they were trying to eliminate in the first place. In effect they re-toxify themselves. This is why the Doctor wants you to understand that while SOME symptoms may be expected as NORMAL, having too many is undesirable and you must contact us immediately if this is the case.
What to Expect
Any reaction is an indication that the process of cleansing and detoxification is working and that your body is cleaning itself of impurities, toxins and imbalances. All reactions are temporary and may occur immediately, within several days or even several weeks later.
But, depending on the levels of toxicity, other possible symptoms are:
• Some people feel ill (flu like complaints) during the first few days of a cleanse because your body is dumping toxins into the blood stream for elimination. The ill-affects usually pass within 1-3 days. On rare occasions, they may last several weeks.
• Sometimes, the discomfort during the healing crisis is of greater intensity than before starting the cleanse.
• Another crisis may come after you begin feeling your very best so remember, health is re-gained in cycles. There may be many small crises to go through before the final outcome is experienced.
• The healing crisis may bring about experiences of past conditions – this is sometimes called RETRACING – going through some of the things that brought you to where you are now. While people often forget the diseases or injuries they have had in the past, they may be reminded during the healing crisis.
• It is important to note that many people experience little or no discomfort – at all.
In any case, the cleansing and purifying process is underway, and stored wastes and toxins are in a free-flowing state. The severity and duration of the healing crisis is an indication of amount of toxins and wastes stored in your body. Better out than in!
There are a wide variety of reactions (ranging from none to severe) that may manifest during a healing crisis including:
• Increased joint or muscle pain
• Fatigue and/or its opposite, restlessness
• Aches, Pains
• Sinus congestion
• Fever (usually low grade)
• Frequent urination and/or urinary tract discharges
• Change in blood pressure
• Skin eruptions, including: boils, hives, and rashes
• Cold or flu-like symptoms
• Strong emotions: anger, despair, sadness, fear
• Suppressed memories
• Mood swings
Easing Your Way Through the Healing Crisis:
1. Drink plenty of fresh water to flush the body of toxins from the detoxification cleanse. Drink from 1 to 4 quarts (or liters) per day. This will help flush the toxins out of your system and speed along the detoxification.
2. A headache may indicate insufficient water intake … drink more water!
3. Avoid ALL “white” foods: White flour products (bread, pasta, etc.), milk and all dairy products, sugar and starches (white rice, potatoes).
4. Eat MANY lighter meals to keep your blood sugar balanced. Chicken and beef broths, vegetables and soups are especially beneficial.
5. Be kind to yourself, and get the rest that you need. If you are feeling fatigued or sleepy, your body is telling you to rest.
6. On occasion, a reduction of the dosage or temporary cessation may be required until the severity subsides. Call our office.
7. Symptoms frequently disappear immediately after a good bowel movement.
8. COFFEE ENEMAS – 1 – 5 per day!!!!
9. A good massage might be helpful to speed up the healing process and reduce the discomfort.
The benefits of a detoxified, pure body far outweigh any inconveniences that you might experience during the process. Many people describe experiencing a feeling of lightness, others are unable to describe what they experience other than to say they can’t remember when they felt better.