While I’ve written about the benefits of zinc for cancer, its link to immune function is historical.
Zinc, a necessary mineral for many metabolic functions has long been touted as one of the best immune stimulants when facing seasonal viruses and bacterial infections. Coupled with vitamin C, zinc shows to benefit the body’s ability to stimulate a T-cell and macrophage attack against pathogens that want to make us sick.
While zinc and vitamin C are easy nutrients to purchase and take to help prevent disease, eating foods that are high in zinc may be another great way to improve one’s immune response.
Diet is a more natural approach to receive all our nutrients and there are plenty of foods that contain high amounts of zinc:
- Oysters contain about 16.6 milligrams of zinc per 100 grams
- Hemp seed contain about 9.9 mg per 100 grams
- Sesame seeds contain about 7.8 mg per 100 grams
- Pumpkin seeds contain about 7.64 mg per 100 g
- Cacao powder contains about 6-7 mg per 100 g
- Grass fed beef contains about 5 mg of zinc per 100 grams
- Alaskan crab contains 7.6 mg per 100 g
- 100 grams of legumes contain about 12% of the daily recommended value
- Cashews contain about 15% of the DRV per one ounce serving
- Cheddar cheese contains about 28% of the DRV per 100 grams
- One cup of full fat milk contains about 9% of the DRV
- Shrimp and mussels contain about 14% of teh DRV per 100 grams
- One large egg contains about 5% of the DRV
- One large regular or sweet potato contains 9% of the DRV for zinc
- Green beans contain about 3% of the DRV per 100 grams
- Dark chocolate contains about 3.3 mg or 30% of the DRV of zinc per 100 grams
Dr. Conners graduated with his doctorate from Northwestern Health Sciences University in 1986 and has been studying alternative cancer care for over 20 years. He holds AMA Fellowships in Regenerative & Functional Medicine and Integrative Cancer Therapy.
He is the author of numerous books including, Stop Fighting Cancer and Start Treating the Cause, Cancer Can’t Kill You if You’re Already Dead, Help, My Body is Killing Me, Chronic Lyme, 3 Phases of Lyme, 23 Steps to Freedom, and many more you can download for FREE on our books page.